Its that time of year again!!
September sees the return to school, or for some the beginning of school. This can be really daunting for many kids but especially if they are starting at a new school. Homeopathy treats back to school anxiety or nerves very effectively and I am going to show you what to do, as well as give you some further self help tips if you a parent of an anxious child.
It is important to know, if your child has severe or chronic anxiety a consultation with a professional Homeopath would be required. If your child is worrying about starting school this year, or about an exam, test or performance, then Homeopathy may be an easy solution.
How to help with Homeopathy
There are many effective Homeopathic medicines for back to school anxiety and they are also perfect to use with other types of anxiety such as a trip to the dentist, or nerves before an exam or performance. All medicines should be available in your local health shop or online. Below you can read the descriptions for each medicine and choose the one most appropriate for your child. Give the homeopathic medicine 3 times a day if the symptoms are present , when symptoms stop, stop giving the remedy.
- Calc Phos 30: This is the number 1 medicine to try when your child is reluctant to go to school. They may have headaches and/or tummy aches that prevent them from going. They may deny there is anything is wrong at school but they have the convenient ‘illness’ that allows them to stay at home. Often the medicine to think of for the younger child.
- Gelsemium 30: A great general anticipatory anxiety remedy for anxiety before an event such as a first day, exam, or performance. Child feels cowardly and weak. They feel the task ahead of them is too much. (If in doubt and your child’s anticipatory anxiety symptoms are hard to define, try Gelsemium first before other homeopathic medicines.)
- Argentum Nitricum 30:Your child has an anticipatory anxiety and feels very nervous. They are likely to have diarrhoea and flatulence with their anxiety.
- Lycopodium 30:Give this medicine when your child is fearful that they will fail and look foolish or incompetent in front of others. They are likely to cover this anxiety up with an overly confident manner but they don’t feel confident. Often these types will ‘perform’ very well each time but still have the preceding anxiety.
- Aconite 30:Give this medicine for a child who is extremely fearful with marked restlessness. They cannot sit still and may actually have a scared expression. This is also the main acute Homeopathic medicines for panic style attacks with a beating heart, senation of not being able to get enough air, and feeling faint.
- Arsenicum 30: Give this Homeopathic medicine when your child is very restless and insecure with their anxiety. They may show a degree of exhaustion but you know this tiredness has an emotional basis and is linked to anxiety.
How to help your anxious Child with words
- Reassure: It’s important for your child to know that this is normal and that everyone sometimes has this feeling and that it will pass.
- Reflect: Reflect what you observe in your child back to them. Try and avoid talking about how you felt on an occasion but instead use phrases that show you understand what they are feeling such as: “I can see you are feeling really nervous/anxious”; or for older kids: “I noticed you looked anxious when we were talking about school today….is there anything in particular you were worried about?”
- Validate: Explain to your younger child that it is normal to sometimes feel worried about something new but once they get to school and get used to the newness, they will feel better fast.
- Provide Opportunities to Talk: Younger kids may find it difficult to express why they are worried, whilst older teenagers may just not want to talk about it. Just letting them know you are there to chat should they want to, is sometimes enough.
When our kids are not happy it is easy to worry ourselves. Know that this is just a short phase and that your child’s ability to weather this storm will give them tools to weather greater storms that may happen in their lives. If your children never hit adversity and find ways to self cope, they will not grow into coping adults. Love is the best provision you can provide as well as a sense of normality in their home environment.
If you would like further help with Helping your anxious child, take a look at tele-seminar “How to Soothe Your Anxious Child with Homeopathy and EFT” which includes an audio, guide and EFT videos.
Happy Homeopathic prescribing!